Harvard Kennedy School of Government
The RISE Podcast: Matt Crowley on Woburn, MA’s Pivot to Remote Learning During the Pandemic
A new podcast features Woburn, MA Public School District Superintendent Matt Crowley discussing pivoting to remote learning during the pandemic and the importance of collaboration and adaptability in a crisis.
This podcast episode is cross-posted from the Building State Capability at Harvard University Podcast Series and features Matt Crowley, Superintendent of the Public School District in Woburn, Massachusetts, interviewed by Salimah Samji, Director of the Building State Capability Programme. They discuss how this school system pivoted to remote learning during the COVID-19 pandemic and the importance of collaboration and adaptability when leading through a crisis.
- The original episode, first published on the Building State Capability at Harvard University Podcast Series: https://harvardbsc.simplecast.com/episodes/pivoting-education-systems-in-a-crisis
- Building State Capability at Harvard University’s Podcast Series: https://bsc.cid.harvard.edu/podcasts
- The Building State Capability Programme at Harvard University: https://bsc.cid.harvard.edu/
- What is PDIA-Problem Driven Iterative Adaptation (Video)? https://vimeo.com/262046965
- PDIA Toolkit - A DIY Approach to Solving Complex Problems (Guide): https://bsc.cid.harvard.edu/files/bsc/files/pdiatoolkit_ver_1_oct_2018.pdf
- Funda Wande through the Lens of PDIA: Showcasing a Flexible and Iterative Learning Approach to Improving Educational Outcomes (insight Note) by Salimah Samji and Mansi Kapoor: https://riseprogramme.org/publications/funda-wande-through-lens-pdia-showcasing-flexible-and-iterative-learning-approach
- To solve the learning crisis, start with the problem (Blog) by Marla Spivack: https://riseprogramme.org/blog/solve-learning-crisis-start-problem
- Marla Spivack on Diagnosing Education Systems, CID Speaker Series (Podcast): https://riseprogramme.org/publications/podcast-diagnosing-education-systems
- Building State Capability: Evidence, Analysis, Action (book) by Andrews, Pritchett, and Woolcock: https://bsc.cid.harvard.edu/building-state-capability-evidence-analysis-action
Matt Crowley is the Superintendent of the Public School District in Woburn, Massachusetts.
Salimah Samji is the Director of Building State Capability (BSC). She has more than 15 years of experience working in international development on the delivery of public services, transparency and accountability, strategic planning, monitoring, evaluation and learning. She joined the Center for International Development at Harvard University in 2012 to help create the BSC programme. Today, she is responsible for providing vision, strategic leadership, oversight and managing projects and research initiatives. Salimah also leads BSC’s work on digital learning.
This episode was first published on the Building State Capability at Harvard University Podcast Series and has been cross-posted with permission. RISE is funded by the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office; Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade; and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The Programme is implemented through a partnership between Oxford Policy Management and the Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford. The Blavatnik School of Government at the University of Oxford supports the production of the RISE Podcast.
Building State Capability at Harvard University
RISE blog posts and podcasts reflect the views of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the organisation or our funders.