Education Systems Research in Ethiopia and Beyond
About the event
Research on Improving Systems of Education (RISE) will be holding a research event at Addis Ababa University on Tuesday, 28 January 2020 from 14:30 to 17:30. This public event aims to share key findings from the education systems research being undertaken by RISE in Ethiopia alongside lessons learned from its research teams around the world. The event will feature two panel sessions. The first will explore RISE Ethiopia's research examining the GEQIP-E reforms in Ethiopia. The second will draw on RISE work from other countries examining education systems reform efforts to address the learning crisis.
The event will take place at Addis Ababa University, Sidist Kilo, College of Business and Economics, Eshetu Chole Meeting Hall (please note that the College of Business and Economics is separate from the main Addis Ababa University campus).
Update: Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation report on the event
2:00-2:30 pm: On-site registration and check-in
2:30-2:45 pm: Welcome remarks
- Speaker: Prof Tassew Woldehanna, President of Addis Ababa University
2:45-3:00 pm: Opening remarks
- Speaker: H.E. Ms Tsion Teklu Maru, State Minister of Education, Ethiopia
3:00-4:00pm: Panel I: Coherence in Ethiopia's Quality Education Reform? Initial Findings of the RISE Ethiopia Team
- Speakers: Prof Pauline Rose, Prof Tassew Woldehanna, Prof Belay Hagos
- Topic: This panel will explore RISE Ethiopia's research examining the GEQIP-E reforms in Ethiopia that aim to achieve quality education with equity. Specifically, presentations will address: (1) patterns in equitable access and learning: initial findings from the quantitative baseline survey; (2) mismatches among delegation, finance, information and motivation in primary schooling; and (3) stakeholders’ knowledge and understanding of the quality education reforms, and implications for their successful implementation.
4:20-5:20pm: Panel II: Education System Challenges and Reflections from Other Countries
- Speakers: Prof Tahir Andrabi, Prof Joan DeJaeghere, RISE Research Director Lant Pritchett
- Topic: This panel will draw on RISE work from other countries, including Pakistan and Vietnam, and will examine education systems reform efforts to address the learning crisis. The panel will seek to situate this within the Ethiopian education context, drawing on key lessons learned and themes emerging from across the RISE research portfolio.
5:20-5:30pm: Closing Remarks
- Speaker: RISE Research Director Lant Pritchett